18 teams at the start of 7 riders each. Many riders will chase success, plus opportunities for young guns to impress.
The teams and provisional entry list of Il Giro di Sicilia Open Fiber are announced today. The four-stage race is organized by RCS Sport / La Gazzetta dello Sport in conjunction with the Sicilian Region and scheduled for 3 to 6 April. The challenge is open to join the Honour Roll as a champion alongside previous winners of the caliber of Giuseppe Saronni, winner of the last edition in 1977. All the main Italian Professional Continental and Continental teams will participate in Sicily, as well as UAE Team Emirates, the most “Italian” among the WorldTeams, along with a large group of teams featuring young and interesting riders as well as experienced veterans. In addition to the 7 Italian teams, there are also 11 foreign teams.
Here’s the list of the 18 teams, of 7 riders each, with some key riders highlighted:
- UAE TEAM EMIRATES (UAE) – Petilli, Polanc
- AMORE & VITA – PRODIR (LAT) – Tizza, Ficara
- ANDRONI GIOCATTOLI – SIDERMEC (ITA) – Masnada, Belletti
- BARDIANI CSF (ITA) – Senni, Albanese
- COLDEPORTES BICICLETAS STRONGMAN (COL) – Cañaveral, Estrada
- D’AMICO UM TOOLS (ITA) – Mosca, Martinelli
- DELKO MARSEILLE PROVENCE (FRA) – El Fares, Grosu
- GAZPROM – RUSVELO (RUS) – Porsev, Rovny
- GIOTTI VICTORIA (ROU) – Onesti, Zurlo
- ISRAEL CYCLING ACADEMY (ISR) – Sbaragli, Badilatti
- KOMETA CYCLING TEAM (ESP) – Lopez, Sevilla
- NERI SOTTOLI SELLE ITALIA KTM (ITA) – Visconti, Velasco
- NIPPO – VINI FANTINI – FAIZANÈ (ITA) – Moser, Zaccanti
- RALLY UHC CYCLING (USA) – McNulty, Tuft
- RIWAL READYNEZ CYCLING TEAM (DEN) – Eriksson, Quaade
- SANGEMINI – TREVIGIANI – MG.K VIS (ITA) – Bonifazio, Zana
- TEAM COLPACK (ITA) – Baccio, Bagioli
- WANTY – GOBERT CYCLING TEAM (BEL) – Martin, Pasqualon
Stage 1 – CATANIA – MILAZZO – 165km
An almost entirely flat stage, with the exception of the Colle San Rizzo climb just after Messina. The first part runs along the coast with a few non-challenging climbs and descents, punctuated by the more testing climb up to Taormina. The KOM is on the Colle San Rizzo after Messina, followed by flat roads towards the final 10km, which is raced entirely on the Milazzo peninsula.
Stage 2 – CAPO D’ORLANDO – PALERMO – 236km
The stage is divided into three separate parts: flat, mountain, then flat again. The first runs along the coast with no particularly difficult sections. The second section is in the island’s internal area with mountains until reaching Geraci Siculo (KOM) followed by Petralia Soprana. A descent towards the coast follows, where the stage continues flat, right until the finish in Palermo.
Stage 3 – CALTANISSETTA – RAGUSA – 188km
This stage runs in the internal part of Sicily with a mixed finale of climbs and descents. It’s a challenging stage with continuous up and downs and an uninterrupted series of curves for the first 120km. The roads have variable widths, with some sections in towns and villages that are cobbled. Once in Vittoria, where the stage flattens for a short distance, the course runs through the towns of Vittoria and Comiso to then face the climb of Serra di Burgio that will lead, after a fast descent, straight to Ragusa for the finale in the city centre.
Stage 4 – GIARDINI NAXOS – ETNA (Nicolosi) – 119km
The final stage is characterised by two distinct sections: the first goes around Mount Etna reaching the commune of Maletto at 1,000m, site of the KOM. There starts a long descent, always around the volcano, until the onset of the final climb that starts in Nicolosi. Once near the race finale, the course goes along several narrow town roads.