Big names in the world of cycling are set to compete in Il Giro di Sicilia from 28 September, starting in Avola
Organised by RCS Sport in collaboration with the Regione Siciliana, this year’s race will see iconic riders take to the roads of Sicily, including: Vincenzo Nibali, winner of four Grand Tours (the 2013 and 2016 Giro d’Italia, 2014 Tour de France, 2010 Vuelta a España) and three Monument Classics (2015 and 2017 Il Lombardia, 2018 Milano-Sanremo), Chris Froome (2018 Giro d’Italia, the 2013, 2015, 2016 and 2017 Tour de France and 2011 and 2017 Vuelta a España), Alejandro Valverde (2009 Vuelta a España, four-time winner of Liège-Bastogne-Liège, five-time winner of La Flèche Wallonne, and the 2018 road world champion), Romain Bardet (two-time Tour de France podium finisher in 2016 and 2017 and King of the Mountains winner in the 2019 Tour de France), Joe Dombrowski (Stage winner at the recent Giro d’Italia) and his teammate Brandon McNulty, winner of 2019’s Il Giro di Sicilia.
These great champions will challenge the new generation at the race, including Lorenzo Fortunato, a rider who triumphed atop the Zoncolan on Stage 14 of the 2021 Corsa Rosa, Simone Velasco (2019 Trofeo Laigueglia), as well as the Danish rider Mattias Skjelmose Jensen, a great revelation of the last UAE Tour (6th in the general classification). Joining them is the 20 year-old Puerto Rican national champion Abner Gonzalez, Thymen Arensman, 21 years old and third in the final time trial of the Vuelta a España, and the 19 year-old rider Alastair MacKellar.
The final podium of 2019’s Il Giro di Sicilia, won by Brandon McNulty
THE FOUR LEADERS’ JERSEYS
- Maglia Rossa/Gialla, leader of the General Classification, sponsored by Regione Siciliana
- Maglia Ciclamino, leader of the Points Classification, sponsored by Segafredo Zanetti
- Maglia Verde Pistacchio, leader of the Mountains Classification, sponsored by Valsir
- Maglia Bianca, Best Young Rider, sponsored by Work Service Group
THE FOUR STAGES
- Stage 1: AVOLA – LICATA, 179 KM
- Stage 2: SELINUNTE (CASTELVETRANO) – MONDELLO (PALERMO), 173 KM
- Stage 3: TERMINI IMERESE – CARONIA, 180 KM
- Stage 4: SANT’AGATA DI MILITELLO – MASCALI, 180 KM